The Foreign Languages Centre at the University of Wrocław was founded in 1953.
Since then the purpose and mission of the Centre has been to provide professional instruction to University students with the final aim of forming high language competence and developing the personality of students studying at our Wrocław Alma Mater.
There are five Cooperative Teams of Language Teachers in our Centre: the English, German and Russian Teams, the Romanesque Languages Team (French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese), and the Team of Ancient Languages (Old Latin, Greek).
The instruction at the Centre embraces all levels of language competence within the language proficiency scale: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2 – in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference.
The every day activity of the Centre comprises regular classes and semester examinations for all degrees of undergraduate and postgraduate students ( B.A., B. Sc., M.A., M. Sc., PHD), plus special exams required prior to the defense of a PHD thesis.
Approximately 8 000 students, in every semester, attend the classes run by the Centre; among them are foreign students participating in special Lifelong Learning Exchange Programmes, such as Erasmus, etc.
Furthermore, the Centre is an examination centre for TELC programmes, we also organize open Certification Exams as well as especially designed paid language courses open to the public – for the citizens of the city.
The Centre is a founding member of SERMO – The Association of Academic Foreign Language Centers.