The history of the University of Wrocław is inextricably intertwined with the arrival of Jesuits in Wrocław in the first half of the 17th century. It is their influence that enabled the Emperor Leopold I of the House of Habsburg to sign the founding deed. Since its very beginnings, the academic offer of the university embraced the following degree courses: Law, Medicine, Philosophy and Roman Catholic Theology. Four statues in the corners of the Mathematical Tower in the main university building commemorated this fact. In 1811, after Silesia had passed to Prussia, the Jesuitical academy was merged with the declining University Viadrina in Frankfurt (Oder), widening its academic offer by adding a degree course in Evangelical Theology. In 1911, on the hundredth anniversary of the public university foundation, it was given the name of the Silesian University of Frederick William (German: Schlesische Friedrich-Wilhelm-Universität zu Breslau). After World War II, in June 1946, the inauguration of the Polish University of Wrocław took place.
At present, the University of Wrocław is ranked among ten best higher education institutions in the country. In order to ensure high teaching standards, the university strives to combine tradition with the challenges of the modern world, which results in the constantly growing academic offer. Currently, candidates can pursue their educational path choosing from 78 fields of study available at 10 departments within 5 realms of knowledge: natural sciences, mathematical sciences, humanities, language studies, law & social issues. According to the data of 2014, the University of Wrocław has over 25,000 students in attendance, 17,000 of whom signed up for full-time and 7000 for part-time programs. What is more, the unquestionable prestige and welcoming character of this institution can be confirmed by the presence of as many as 800 international students. It is also worth noticing that the University of Wrocław promotes international cooperation through a wide array of scholarships and programs that both its staff and students can avail of. To exemplify the aforementioned, our students, as the only group in Poland, can apply for the opportunity to study in the USA on the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP).
Our university’s predominant mission is to make it a meeting place, as well as the platform for exchanging viewpoints and conducting high-standard research. The University of Wrocław is an intellectual center of strategic importance, not only for the city itself, but also for the whole region of Lower Silesia. Its foundation is the staff consisting of 1850 academic teachers, including over 400 professors.